Age 17 and Under
The state of Illinois requires adult family member notification when a minor is requesting an abortion. This means that Hope Clinic for Women must notify a parent, grandparent, legal guardian, or a step parent that you live with. They do not have to give their permission for the abortion, but they must be informed BEFORE your appointment.
We want teens and their parents to feel fully supported when an unexpected pregnancy happens. We know this can be a difficult time and it can be hard to talk about abortion. Our experienced counselors can assist you with these challenging conversations.
Our outstanding staff gives compassionate and gentle care to young women.
ways to inform
- By written notice. You can download this form and have your parent, grandparent, legal guardian, or a step parent that you live with fill it out. It must be brought with you on the day of your appointment.
- By phone. We can call your parent or guardian to inform them, or it's even easier if you have them call us to make the appointment.
- By mail. If you prefer, we can mail the notification. In this case, we will need to mail it about 4 days before your appointment.
- By doctor. If you would prefer for your doctor to be the one to inform your parent or guardian, please give him/her this form to complete.
- If you have been legally married, we are not required to inform anyone. Please bring proof of marriage.
- If you have been legally emancipated, we are not required to inform anyone. Please bring proof of emancipation.
- Judicial Bypass. If you feel that you absolutely cannot have us inform anyone by any of the above means, a judicial bypass is your only other option. In this case, you will have a lawyer assigned to represent you at no charge and they will file the motion. You will need to appear in a closed, private courtroom and answer questions. This process takes a few days. If you feel this is your only option, please call us for more information.
scheduling an appointment
You may request an abortion appointment with the button at the top of the page. One of our staff will call you to get the necessary information and help guide you through the process. Or just call us at 618.451.5722 to schedule and discuss the details.
It is easiest if you have your parent or guardian call us to make the abortion appointment. In most cases, that person also comes to the clinic with you on the day of your abortion, but that is not required. You and the person who comes with you must both have proper IDs.
- Driver's licenses
- State-issued ID card
- Copy of birth certificate
- Military ID card
- Illinois Dept of Public Aid ID card
- School ID
Please note: Falsification of information is a Class 3 Misdemeanor